Is it possible to get rid of used hearing aids? The answer is definitely the same whether you choose to upgrade to a more advanced model like cochlear implants or you got them from a deceased relative: donate your pre-owned hearing aids instead of getting rid of.
There are a lot of people suffering from hearing loss who would benefit from donated hearing aid, and a few organizations out there that acquire and distribute those hearing aids to the individuals in need. Keep reading to discover how and why to donate pre-owned hearing aids.
Why It’s Worthwhile to Donate a Pre-owned Hearing Aid
- Of the overall population, about 14% suffer from some type of hearing loss
- 91% of adults who have hearing loss are above the age of 50
- There is evidence of loss of hearing in 15% of school aged children
- Hearing aids would help approximately 29 million adults with loss of hearing, but…
- …hearing aids are actually used by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Of those over 70 who need hearing aids, less than 30% percent have ever used them
This is very troubling. Because health problems like cognitive decline, greater risk of falling, and depression have been associated with untreated loss of hearing. The relevance of your hearing to your general health is backed up by new research being released regularly. These health problems can be prevented and in certain instances reversed by hearing aids.
And loss of hearing will cost the average family up to $12,000 every year which should be an extremely persuasive point. But that expense can actually be lessened by as much as 50% with hearing aids.
It may not be feasible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford to buy hearing aids.
For a person in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your old hearing aids can have an enormous impact on their financial well being, quality of life, and health. It may also help a child in school that has difficulty hearing, which could affect their ability to enter into higher education and make a livable wage when they’re older.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
Old hearing aids are recycled and dispensed by lots of manufacturers and volunteer organizations. Stop by and we can help you find a recycling program. Or give us a call.